Friday, December 31, 2010

Washing Hydroton

Here is my process for washing hydroton. This is done outside, usually in the driveway, with the following items; plastic tub, modified 5 gal bucket, water hose, and hydroton. Here's how it goes:

Start with an empty tub. In this example, I picked up a cheap "hinged lid" one and took off the lid pieces. I would estimate this to be around a 12 gal. tub.

I used a standard 5 gal. bucket and drilled several 3/16" holes in the bottom and sides to create my "Modified Bucket". The holes are for drainage and go about 3" up on the sides of the bucket.

Pour the amount of hydroton you want to wash into the tub.

Fill and spray the hydroton. As the tub fills with water be sure to slosh the hydroton around a lot to dislodge the dirt and dust. I usually stick the hose down in the water to stir the hydroton.

Carefully lift the tub and pour the water and hydroton into the bucket. It's easiest to pour from a corner. Try to control the situation if possible... you don't want your hydroton going all over the place to pick up one-by-one... trust me. ***Be sure not to fill the tub with more water than you can lift and pour!***

Repeat the process until the water is clear when filling in the tub. For this amount of hydroton in the photos I had to rinse/drain it about 6 times.

After your hydroton is washed you can use it as needed. Store the excess covered in a dry place. It's easier to store the excess than to go through the entire process for a cup full of hydroton.

More to come...
-Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment