Sunday, January 2, 2011

Changing the Nutrient Solution

Today I changed the nutrient solution on the Big Kit (ebb and flow). Today is the start of Week 2 and I upped the Gro Nutrients (as directed) and added the Cal-Mag additive (as directed). Hopefully I'll notice a difference in the plants with the additional nutrients.

Necessity is the mother of all inventions, and that's the truth. I discovered a clever way of draining my reservoir today; I used an old garden hose that just happened to be 1/2" i.d., stuck to the water pump, and ran the hose into the bathroom tub. I switched on the pump and viola! I was very pleased it worked--I wasn't looking forward to dragging the 20 gallons of water in the tub into the bathroom or out the door to dump--I wasn't even sure how I was going to do that. After the pump emptied as much of the old water as possible, I carried the tub to the bathroom and rinsed it out. While the tub was drying I went to the garage and built a small skate for the tub to sit on and easily roll from one location to another. I built it from a piece of 1/2" plywood (18" x 30"), (2) 30" 2x4s, and (4) old casters. I'll take a photo of it later to show you.

I refilled the reservoir one gallon at a time (keeping count) and rolled it back into the growing room and hooked up the lines. I only put 10 gallons in the reservoir, instead of 20 gallons, as the flood system only needs about 8 gallons to operate. Less water equals less weight, less nutrients used, less money, etc.

More to come...
-Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment