Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A Better Look

Here are a few better quality photos of the seedlings/sprouts and my setup.
Sorry for the cord mess below, I was testing the pump and system for the first time so they're just thrown around.
I am not sure if I like the blue tubs or not. During tonight's maiden run of the ebb and flow system, the right tub leaked slightly due to the bottom of the tub not being totally flat. I have found some good priced grow tables from an online source ( http://www.discount-hydro.com ) and may end up buying a true grow table very soon. They're more durable, plus have build in drainage canals for proper drainage. The local hydro store has some for probably what the discount online store would cost me with shipping. I am also concerned about the plants getting crowded in the tubs as they are somewhat limiting. I am looking to get a 2'x4' grow table and from what I can find, they run from $45-$100 depending on brand and quality. While that may seem like a lot of money, consider that the blue tubs were $9 each, plus I had to purchase double the fittings, pipes, overflows, etc.. for the second tub. Who knows... maybe one will make it through our gas fireplace this weekend. :)


Closer photo of how I have the seedlings set up. They're on their 18-6 light cycle now and I can tell a difference.
Sprouts! The front ones are broccoli and the three in the background are mixed lettuce.
Another view: broccoli in the main foreground; lettuce mix in the background (right).
The seedlings as of 12/22/2010. The 12 lettuces to the far right are about 4 days behind the larger sprouts. The herbs were planted today.

No comments:

Post a Comment